So I'm late to the whole adding instagram effects to pro res images party because I felt that instagram is meant for iPhone shooting so why make those same retro effects on the computer? Right? Nope, wrong. People love love love these effects and there is no slowing down of this love in sight.
Because I'm fashionably late, I've brought party favors! A student of mine recently asked me how to get these effects, and it actually takes a lot of Photoshop knowledge to get them. Luckily, Daniel Box of dbox has created them as actions and gives them away for free on his website. Here is how you insert them into your Photoshop CS5 or 6.
1. Download the actions here: http://dbox.tumblr.com/post/5426249009/instagram-filters-as-photoshop-actions
2. Go to your applications folder on your computer, and find the Adobe Photoshop folder which has a presets folder. In that folder there is an actions folder. Place your downloaded folder from Daniel Box there.
3. Launch Photoshop with an image.
4. Go to your Actions Panel. If it is not open, go to window at the top of the screen and drop down to actions to bring it up.
5. Find the Instagram Set. Single click your Instagram effect.
6. With it highlighted (due to the single click you just did), hit the little triangle at the bottom of the actions panel. It looks like a play button, which is for playing or running actions.
7. Notice that there are even actions for the retro boarders as well.
8. Don't forget to thank Daniel at his blog for the retro mayhem you are about throw out into the world.
There you have it folks. As if there weren't enough instagram retro photo styled images out there, now we can make even more of them!
Insta - Party!- Carlos